Please take a minute to review this page to learn about the visa application process, understand current requirements, and get informed on very important details and do not hesitate to get back to us at email@example.com with any question that you might have.
How long you can stay in Iran :
According to your request on visa form when you receive authorization code and visa from Iran embassy or consulate you will be able to stay in Iran for 45 days now due to new laws but before you could stay for 30 days.
It’s highly recommend to respect the current rules regarding COVID-19 when visiting Iran. You have to wear masks in public places and keep social distance. Please note you should cover all the costs if you get COVID-19 when visiting Iran except if you have valid insurance which covering Iran. Full COVID-19 vaccination certificate is obligatory to get visa at the embassy or consulate and negative PCR test result is required when entering to Iran which should be done 72 hours before entering to country by land borders.
Who needs a visa :
Iran visa is issued for foreign nationals who are interested in traveling to Iran individually or with a group. All foreign nationals entering Iran need to arrange a visa in advance to be able to enter by land borders except visa free countries. US, UK and Canadian citizens are welcome, but need to pre-arrange a tour or private guide through an agency. Israeli passport holders, and anyone with an Israeli stamp in their passport, will not get a visa.
Visa Types :
Iran has all the usual visa types – business, student, journalist, etc – but for travellers there are three:
- Tourist visa: According to the regulations of the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a Tourist visa is issued for foreign nationals who are interested to travel to Iran individually or with a group by land border for the purpose of visiting Iran. This visa is issued for a maximum stay of 45 days with option of extensions in Iran. Must be obtained before coming to Iran and valid to enter for 90 days from the date of issue.
- Entry visa: This type of Iran visa is for those foreign citizens who have an letter of invitation from family, governmental organizations, or private and public sectors for the purpose of work, or visiting family and friends.
- Transit visa: Issued for five to seven days. You must enter and exit via different countries, and have a visa or a ticket to an onward country. Can be obtained in one or two days and, critically, no authorisation number is required.
Authorization Code :
Before applying for your visa, you have to apply for an authorization code. This is an official code from the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs which enables you to collect your visa from your desired Iranian embassy or consulate in your country or elsewhere. Getting this authorization code is the most important step in visa application and we will send it to you normally in 3 working days.
Please send the following items to start the process :
- One completed Iran Visa Form
- High quality scan of your passport’s first page
- Scan of 3*4 size passport photo. It’s not necessary for woman to have hijab
Picking Up Your Iran Visa
You will receive your Visa authorization number after it is issued in ministry of foreign affairs. This code is valid for 30 days. You will go to Iranian embassy or consulate of your choice according to visa form with the authorization code, Covid-19 vaccination certificate and your passport in hand and receive your visa. Pick up policy, waiting time, and many other factors vary in different embassies and consulate. Some embassies may issue the visa within 1-2 hours but others may keep your passport for up to a week.
Iran Visa Fee
For receiving your Iran visa you will have to pay the embassy fee which is based on your nationality also on the embassy or consulate that you will receive your visa from.
Extension of visa
You can extend your visa at passport/immigrants department in Tehran, Isfahan, Mashhad, Shiraz, Yazd, Rasht, Bandar Abbas, and Tabriz. There is usually little difficulty in extending your visa for 1st time and it’s possible but harder to extend again for 2nd and 3rd time. In theory, you can only apply for an extension two or three days before your existing visa is due to expire, and your extension starts on the day it’s issued, not the end of your original visa, you will be asked of your reasons for extension request, you also would need a couple of pictures and paying the related costs. Remember if you do overstay without extending visa, even by a few hours ,expect to be detained.
Because of long standing history of coups, espionage, nuclear sanctions and everything else in between that is outside of the average American citizen unconnected to the historical actions of their government, all US passport holders are only allowed into Iran if part of a tour group or individual with a private guide through travel agency. According to recent regulation on nationality restrictions British, Canadians and Irish became subjected to the same law. Everyone else you are fine (although keep an eye on any changes).